It’s finally beginning to feel like fall around here, which means its soup and chili season!! This is one of my favorite seasons because, a.) its delicious. Who doesn’t love a good soup and/or chili?! and, b.) its super easy! The hardest part (and its not hard, as much tedious) is chopping up the veggies. Such a low maintenance meal. I love low maintenance. I dunno about you, but as it’s been getting colder, I’ve been wanting nothing more than to be comforted in the arms of a warm, hearty bowl of chili. And you know when you give a southern girl some chili, your gonna have to give her some cornbread, right? (Don’t worry, I got you. 57 calories a pop AND gluten-free ::insert sly smile::) My go-to chili recipe is my Four Bean Veggie Chili. Not only is it chocked full of protein from the kidney beans, black beans, white northern beans, and garbanzo beans, but its packed with antioxidants and Vitamin C from the red, orange, and yellow bell peppers. I promise you won’t be missing the meat in this loaded chili, my meat-loving friends!
Four Bean Veggie Chili
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Yields: 6-8 servings
1 Tbs Olive oil
1 Medium Onion, chopped
5 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Orange Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Serrano Pepper, chopped (optional, some like it HOT!)
3 Bay Leaves, crushed
2 Tbs Dried Oregano
1 Tsp Cumin
1/4 Cup Chili Powder
1 Tbs Salt, or to taste
1 Tbs Pepper
1 Can of Crushed Tomatoes (!5 ounces)
1 Can of Kidney Beans (15 ounces)
1 Can of Black Beans (15 ounces)
1 Can of White Northern Beans (15 ounces)
1 Can of Chickpeas (15 ounces)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in onions, bay leaves, oregano, cumin, and salt. Cook, stirring until onions are softened.
- Add bell peppers, jalepenos (again, OPTIONAL!), and garlic.
- When peppers are thoroughly heated, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, chili powder, and black pepper.
- Add the beans and increase heat, bringing chili to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with shredded cheese and avocado, if you please!
Guilt-Free (Gluten-Free) Corn Bread
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yields: 6-8 servings
2 Tsp Olive Oil
1 cup Cornmeal
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Almond Milk
1/2 Tsp Apple Cider
1 egg or 1/2 Tbs egg replacer + 2 Tbs of water (if you're shooting for Vegan)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Add olive oil to cast iron skillet, coating the bottom, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes until oil is hot.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, and baking soda.
- Add in the almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and egg (or egg replacer) and stir until no lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the hot oiled skillet and bake at 450° for about 12 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Let cool before slicing.
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy, and tell me what you think!